- Full time
- Assistant Professor
- Associate professor
Apply by: 2023-05-01
Assistant/associate professor (tenure track) of mechanical engineering, especially steel structures
LUT School of Energy Systems is looking for a professor of mechanical engineering, especially steel structures.
The professorship is located at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the LUT School of Energy Systems. The position is at the assistant/associate professor levels of the tenure track and will be filled through an open call for a fixed term of four years.
The LUT School of Energy Systems focuses systematically on the direct and indirect electrification of all energy systems, which includes the utilisation of CO2 to meet hydrocarbon demands. We are internationally recognised as a leading centre of energy research, and we have an unparalleled reputation for conducting research that combines academic excellence with an impact on business and society.
The professorship enables producing innovative, energy-efficient, high-quality steel structures for demanding structural applications that are competitive in terms of performance and economy. The professor of steel structures collaborates with all laboratories at LUT, but especially with welding technology, laser processing (incl. AM technologies), material modelling and professors in machine design.
The three main specialisation and focus areas of the professorship are:
- The design and analysis of structures for demanding machinery applications
- The capacity of welded joints
- The numerical simulation of metal structure performance concerning material, manufacturing processes, and operation
The secondary focus areas are:
- The digitised production of steel structures (material, design, fabrication, end-use and recycling)
- Designing with high-strength steels
- Numerical and analytical methods for fracture mechanics
- The performance of structures fabricated using AM techniques (3D metal printing and/or DED)
- Structures subjected to a hydrogen environment
The candidates are expected to have mastered at least one of the main focus areas. Expertise in any of the secondary areas is an advantage. In addition, practical experience in the design of metallic structures is desirable. The candidates must have research and teaching merits. Spoken and written fluency in English is required.
The duties related to the field of research will also include:
- high-impact international research
- the planning and implementation of undergraduate and postgraduate education
- supervision of final theses and postgraduate studies
- the acquisition of research funding
- cost-conscious leadership and project management
- the preparation of national and international research and education projects
- increasing awareness in a way that serves industry
- close collaboration and interaction with businesses in the field
- taking part in the preparation of projects of other LUT units as an expert, and
- general administrative work related to the university's operation.
The appointment process description explains the qualification requirements and tenure track appointment criteria.
The application and its appendices must be in English and in PDF format. The application must include:
- curriculum vitae (max. 10 pages)
- a copy of the candidate's doctoral diploma
- a full list of publications, including the total number of publications in the Scopus database, the total number of citations, the h-index and Scopus ID, and equivalent information from the candidate’s Google Scholar profile
- a separate list of the publications submitted for expert evaluation
- publications for evaluation by experts (max. 10)
- a teaching portfolio or an equivalent account of the candidate’s teaching qualifications
- an account of the candidate's merits and activities of significance to the vacancy (max. 3 pages), and
- an account of the candidate’s vision on the development of education, research and projects in the field of the professorship at LUT University (max. 3 pages).
Please specify the tenure track level applied to. The professorship is located at LUT University’s Lappeenranta campus. The position starts with a six-month trial period.
The salary is determined according to the salary system for university teaching and research personnel. The pay will include an individual pay component based on performance and competence. The annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor amounts to 46 700—62 800 euros depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
The closing date for applications is 1 May 2023 at midnight, Finnish local time (UTC + 3 h). Please submit your application by filling out the online form.
For further information, please contact Professor Aki Mikkola, +358 40 7363 095, email@example.com.
Read more about LUT School of Energy Systems.
Read more about the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we at LUT University seek new solutions with our expertise in technology, business and social sciences. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal. Our international community consists of nearly 8 000 members. Our campuses are in Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland. We are the world’s ninth best university for climate action.
Technical support for using the recruitment system: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More jobs from LUT University
- Full time