- Full time
- Energy technology
- Electrical engineering
- Environmental science
- Assistant Professor
- Associate professor
Apply by: 2024-02-29
Assistant/associate professor (tenure track) of sustainability science, especially a just transition in the sociotechnical context
The LUT Sustainability Change research group is looking for a professor of sustainability science, especially a just transition in the sociotechnical context.
The LUT Sustainability Change research group is a part the Department of Sustainability Science and the LUT School of Energy Systems. Our research projects analyse topics such as human behaviour, changes in attitudes and technologies, business operations, the impact of policy measures, and ways to reduce the environmental impact of different production processes. The sustainability change research team has grown substantially in recent years. It is one of Finland's most important research groups in the field of sustainability science.
The LUT School of Energy Systems focuses systematically on the direct and indirect electrification of all energy systems, which includes the utilisation of CO2 to meet hydrocarbon demands. Therefore, the school promotes the global de-fossilisation of energy. The core vision and goal of the school is to deliver leading research on low-carbon energy technologies and the associated complex, net-zero carbon energy systems and markets. The research and education in the school cover energy technology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and sustainability science. We are internationally recognised as a leading centre of energy research, and we have an unparalleled reputation for conducting research that combines academic excellence with an impact on business and society.
The topics and specialisation areas of the professorship are:
- extensive understanding of different sociotechnical systems
- experience in a just transition and sustainability science research
- understanding the role of technical, business and social innovations in a sustainability transition.
The candidates are expected to present strong research achievements and proof of successful project work and funding acquisition. In addition, the candidates are required to have teaching and supervision skills. Spoken and written fluency in English is required.
We also appreciate:
- high-level academic impact, project experience, the successful acquisition of funding, and leadership in different areas of sustainability science
- documented experience in successful teaching in a multicultural higher education environment (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels) as well as development of study programmes
- experience in collaboration with business, public organisations, NGOs and other institutions
- experience in societal processes
- a multi- and transdisciplinary background
- the ability to teach in bachelor’s/master’s programmes held in Finnish.
The appointment process description explains the qualification requirements and tenure track appointment criteria.
The professorship strengthens and complements the competences of the unit by focusing on how to implement a transition from the current systems to safe operation within planetary boundaries. The professorship also aims to ascertain how the transition can be implemented in an inclusive and just way.
The professorship will include the following duties related to its field of study:
- planning and execution of bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programmes, including online and classroom teaching
- supervision of final theses and doctoral studies
- producing high-level international scientific publications
- acquisition of external research funding and preparation of related research projects at LUT and on a national and international scale; heading these research projects when required
- production of new knowledge relevant to the development of society and decision-making in Finland
- close cooperation and interaction with LUT's research groups
- networking and cooperation with Finnish and international universities and research institutes
- networking and research collaboration with organisations and companies in the field of the professorship
- societal interaction in the field of the professorship
- general administrative duties related to the university's operations.
The professorship is located at the LUT University’s Lahti campus. The position is situated at the assistant/associate professor levels of the tenure track and will be filled through an open call for a fixed term of four years. The work starts with a six-month trial period.
The application must include:
- a curriculum vitae (max. 10 pages)
- a copy of the candidate's doctoral diploma
- a full list of publications, including the total number of publications in the Scopus database, the total number of citations, the h-index and Scopus ID, and equivalent information from the candidate’s Google Scholar profile
- a separate list of the publications submitted for expert evaluation
- publications for evaluation by experts (max. 10)
- a teaching portfolio or an equivalent account of the candidate’s teaching qualifications
- an account of the candidate's merits and activities of significance to the vacancy (max. 3 pages)
- an account of the candidate’s vision on the development of education, research and projects in the field of the professorship at LUT University (max. 3 pages).
All application documents must be in English and in PDF format.
The salary is determined according to the salary system for university teaching and research personnel. The pay will include an individual pay component based on performance and competence. The annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor amounts to 48 300 – 65 000 euros depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
The closing date for applications is 29 February at 15:00, Finnish local time (UTC + 2h). Please submit your application and all required attachments by filling out the online form.
LUT University | Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we at LUT University seek new solutions with our expertise in technology, business and social sciences. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal. Our international community consists of nearly 8 000 members. Our campuses are in Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland. We’re one of the top universities in the world for climate action. lut.fi/en
Technical support for using the recruitment system: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More jobs from LUT University
- Full time