- Full time
- Social science
- Architecture and design
Apply by: 2023-04-07
Call for Applications for 2 PhD Students for 4 years
In the fields of history, art history, musicology, philosophy, German literature, architectural history, English, media studies, and Egyptology.
Application Due Date: April 7, 2023
The eikones Graduate School at the Center for the Theory and History of the Image at the University of Basel invites applications for three positions for doctoral study on the theory and history of the image for four years beginning September 1, 2023.
Since 2005, eikones has served as a center for research on images from systematic and historical perspectives. The international and interdisciplinary center investigates the meanings, functions and effects of images in cultures since Antiquity and in our contemporary society. It aims at foundational image theory and at a historical investigation of images as instruments of human knowledge and cultural practices.
The purpose of the grant is to support the completion of an original dissertation and the degree within the duration of the position. Students must fulfill all circular requirements of the eikones Graduate School and participate in the events of the Center for the History and Theory of the Image.
- Excellent academic qualifications and promise in your field of study.
- An innovative dissertation project relating to the theory and history of the image.
- Masters or equivalent qualification in a relevant field of study, in particular history, art history, musicology, philosophy, German literature, architecture, English, media studies, or Egyptology.
- Applicants must possess a MA degree or equivalent by September 1, 2023. The MA degree must have been completed in the previous two years. Exceptions may be possible in extraordinary circumstances.
- Doctoral students must be advised by a faculty member of the eikones graduate school. Doctorate students must also be enrolled in the University of Basel for the duration of the program.
We offer you
The eikones graduate school offers excellent students of the humanities who would like to pursue a doctorate in the history and theory of the image a structured program of graduate study distinguished by dedicated advising, an internationality, interdisciplinary, regular dialogue with guest scholars, and professional opportunities. The goal of the doctoral program is the successful completion of the degree within the four-year duration. Salaries follow the standards of the University of Basel for doctorate positions.
Application / Contact
Please submit your application in German or English as a single pdf by April 7, 2023 using the online portal provided by the University of Basel. The application should include:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of Degree Certificates
- Contact details for two references
- Project description (at most 10 pages) and bibliography
- Writing sample (at most 20 pages)
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a virtual interview. All inquiries should be directed to email@example.com
More jobs from University of Basel
- Full time
- Full time