- Full time
- Consulting assignment
Apply by: 2022-07-24
Doktorand inom kompressibel strömningsmekanik
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Engineering Mechanics
The project aims at developing robust, reliable and effective techniques for generation of extreme conditions. Having developed an experimental facility based on electrical wire explosion huge pressures in fluids are to be produced with limited resources available in everyday research environment. A unique integration of approaches and resources in high voltage engineering and plasma physics applications will be applied towards classical problems of compressible fluid mechanics. The project investigates by experiment, computation and theory the major physical properties of imploding shock waves in liquids, offers approaches to enhance efficiency of the focal energy concentration, and studies the behavior of matter at such extreme states.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Assoc. Prof. Michael Liverts and Prof. Nicholas Apazidis
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with a degree at advanced level (MSc or equivalent) in engineering physics, fluid mechanics, or related fields. Specific research background closely related to subjects mentioned in the project description is considered an advantage. We are particularly interested in candidates with a solid experimental experience. Good command of English orally and in writing is required to communicate, publish results in scientific journals and present at international conferences.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages. Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: temporary position longer than 6 months | Contract type: full time | Number of positions: 1 | Working hours: 100% | City: Stockholm | County: Stockholms län | Country: Sweden | Reference number: S-2022-0887 | Contact: Universitetslektor Michael Liverts e-post:email@example.com, Professor Nicholas Apazidis e-post:firstname.lastname@example.org, | Published: 2022-05-12 | Last application date: 2022-06-15
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time
- Part time
- Full time