- Full time
Apply by: 2024-03-08
Doctoral student in development of compact X-ray optics for astrophysics
Third-cycle subject: Physics
The Department of Physics seeks a PhD student for the development of compact X-ray optics using micro-fabrication techniques. The goal is to use the optics in a future space mission for astrophysics. Building on prototype work (Mi et al., Nature Astronomy 3 (2019) 867) the design of the optics will be optimized using computer simulations and experiments at synchrotron X-ray beams. A scalable production process will be developed based on, e.g., nanoimprint lithography. The design of the space mission will be studied. Synergy with medical imaging is possible.
Supervision: Prof. Mark Pearce and prof. Mats Danielsson are proposed to supervise the PhD student. Decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment
- Help to relocate in Sweden and at KTH
- A broad spectrum of research in astrophysics, particle physics, and medical imaging is pursued in the Division - www.particle.kth.se.
- The Division has facilities for the development and production of X-ray instrumentation. The KTH Space Centre provides test facilities for the space environment. Micro-fabrication infrastructure is available at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance) the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (e.g. master's degree) or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits or
- acquired in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- MSc in physics
In addition to the above there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to
- independently pursue his/her work
- collaborate with others
- have a professional approach
- analyse and work with complex issues
The following experience and skills are particularly important: a completed MSc project in physics, experience of data analysis/computer simulations/X-ray instrumentation. Experience with micro-fabrication techniques is meritorious but not a requirement.
After the qualification requirements great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a PhD student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years time. An employed PhD can, to a limited extent max 20% perform certain tasks within their role e.g. training and administration. A new position as a PhD student is for a maximum of one year and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time. In the case of studies that are to be completed with a licentiate degree the total period of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education for two years
Union representatives website
Doctoral section website
To apply for the position
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight CET/CEST
Applications must include:
- Your CV
- Application letter explaining why you want to pursue research studies (max 2 pages).
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements. Translations into English/Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified
- M.Sc. thesis and other publications. A summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text is requested. Do not send complete documents.
The position may include security-sensitive activities. To become authorized you therefore need to pass a possible security check
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process read here
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons
Disclaimer:In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement the Swedish version takes precedence