- Part time
- Consulting assignment
- Computational Science
Apply by: 2022-11-22
Doctoral students in spectral urban-flow simulations and deep learning
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Fluid mechanics
The goal of this project is to use computational-fluid-dynamics (CFD) methods and experiments for the analysis of turbulent flows in urban environments. To this end, high-order spectral methods will be employed to perform both well-resolved large-eddy simulations and direct numerical simulations, in order to assess the influence of the geometry and inflow conditions on the physics, and the pollutant concentration in the city. We are also interested in using deep-learning methods for non-intrusive sensing, so as to create detailed maps of velocity and pollutant concentration in the city from sparse measurements.
The doctoral student will have access to the multi-peta scale supercomputing facilities available at KTH, in conjunction with the Swedish e-Science Research Centre (SeRC, www.e-science.se) and will become part of the excellent research environment FLOW (www.flow.kth.se). This project is part of an EU Doctoral Network, so research stays will be planned with other partners, including Polytechnic University of Madrid, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Université Libre de Brussels, University of Bristol and a number of industrial partners.
Supervision: The doctoral students will be supervised by Ricardo Vinuesa, Hossein Azizpour and Fariya Sharmeen.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- The researcher will become part of the VinuesaLab research group (www.vinuesalab.com), where he/she will have the possibility to interact with several related projects dealing with large-scale turbulence simulations, deep learning and experiments.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- Recruited researchers can be of any nationality and must comply with the following mobility rule: they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Sweden for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date.
A suitable background for this position would be a Master of Science in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Mechanics with a specialization in fluid mechanics, computational methods and/or applied mathematics.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 3 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: S-2022-1415 | Kontakt: Ricardo Vinuesa, universitetslektor firstname.lastname@example.org, Hossein Azizpour, universitetslektor email@example.com, Fariya Sharmeen, universitetslektor firstname.lastname@example.org, | Publicerat: 2022-09-08 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-10-17
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Part time