- Part time
- Consulting assignment
Apply by: 2022-10-07
Doctoral student in in biocatalysis
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Chemistry
Syrén's research group (www.syrenlab.com) is recruiting a doctoral student in biocatalysis for the project Food ingredients from CO2 with flexible microbial consortia. The project involves research groups at KTH and Chalmers and is at the forefront of biocatalysis and enzyme design.
The main purpose of this project is to develop methods for sustainable biocatalytic production of edible oils, such as palm oil, from CO2 by designed microbial cell factories. The research area for the doctoral student includes enzyme discovery, design and development of enzyme cadres, enzyme technology and synthetic biology to expand nature's current repertoire with regard to biosynthesis of tailored fats with the desired structure. Tools for enzyme design developed at KTH will be used to expand the catalytic versatility of biocatalysts, which will then be screened with microfluidics and deployed in versatile cell factories in close collaboration with project partners.
The biocatalysts and their products will be carefully analyzed using interdisciplinary (bio) chemical methods. The work will be placed at the School of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH.
Supervision: Associate Professor Per-Olof Syrén is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The doctoral student will join the biocatalysis team of this multidisciplinary project, to work in close collaboration with research groups at the forefront of enzyme design (Syrén) and academic partners with profiency in synthetic biology.”
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- Master of Science degree (or equivalent) with focus on biocatalysis, biotechnology, green chemistry, or corresponding competences.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- excellent knowledge of written and spoken English since it's required in daily work.
- Deep knowledge in molecular biology, analytical chemistry and molecular modeling are of merit for this position. Experience of interdisciplinary scientific work at the interface of synthetic biology and biocatalysis is moreover an advantage.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: C-2022-1291 | Kontakt: Per-Olof Syrén +4687906508, | Publicerat: 2022-06-09 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-08-31
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time
- Full time