- Full time
- Computer science
Apply by: 2023-03-31
Engineering Team: Senior Frontend Engineer
DaSCH, the Swiss National Data and Service Centre for the Humanities, is a national research infrastructure and long-term archive (repository) for research data in the humanities. This concerns disciplines such as archaeology, history, art history, philosophy or history of science. DaSCH is affiliated with the University of Basel.
We are a dynamic team with a broad knowledge and working with the most up-to-date technologies. All software developed at DaSCH is open source. We actively participate in the open-source community.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer, you will join a very talented team of individuals who have learned to work together extremely well. You are passionate and self-motivated, with enthusiasm about Angular and its ecosystem, willing to participate in the usual software engineering activities and work closely with other engineers, product management, and the rest of the team. You are open to new ideas and challenges and prefer to work incrementally, with attention to detail and delivery. You esteem teamwork and respect majority decisions.
We use Angular for the frontend of our DaSCH Service Platform. We build applications for the web (Desktop and Mobile). Our infrastructure is currently defined in Ansible; we are experimenting with Nomad for orchestrating our services. We have an automated test suite, and we are applying continuous integration (CI) practices. All our software is open source and on Github (https://github.com/dasch-swiss)
- Design and implement features
- Review contributions from other engineers
- Analyze requirements, break them down into manageable work packages, and help to prioritize them
- Plan for incremental software development
- Deliver according to agile best practices
- Communicate and analyze technical details
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within DaSCH to maintain high quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity
- Exert influence on the overall objectives and long-term goals of your team.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent such problems
- Assuring quality of your code with unit, property, and integration tests
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers in your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and autonomy
- Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger issues.
- At least 5+ years relevant work experience and track record in Software Development
- Strong TypeScript, Angular 10+, HTML, SCSS skills
- Proficiency in the English language and preferable also in the German language, (written and spoken)
- Designed, delivered and managed Angular applications
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and to propose thorough iterative solutions
- Being comfortable with working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Practical experience with Agile software development methods
- Software OO-design and development experience with web-based user interfaces, deep knowledge of application integration
- Skills relevant for a software engineer specialized in Angular / Typescript
- Pleasant personality with soft skills
- Analytical, synthetic, and scientific thinking
Nice to haves
- Product company experience
- Experience in working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
We offer you
The 80 - 100% position is initially limited until 31 December 2025.
We offer you an attractive working environment in a digital national research infrastructure where you can contribute and realize your ideas.
The position is available immediately.
Application / Contact
Please send your complete application documents to Daniela Meier (firstname.lastname@example.org).
More jobs from University of Basel