Quick facts

    • United States
  • Full time
  • Recruitment


  • Social science
  • Technology
  • Medicine
  • Computer science
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Economy
  • History
  • Legal
  • Physics


  • Postdoc
  • Researcher

Apply by: 2022-01-15


Published 2021-09-22

The Fulbright program is one of the most prestigious international exchange programs in the world today with the main objective to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other nations through the sharing of ideas, knowledge, skills and individual experiences.
Grants are intended for Swedish postdoctoral scholars who have already established affiliation with an American university or research center but who have not yet begun their research in the U.S. Scholars who have not yet completed their doctoral degree at the time of application must present evidence of completion of the degree prior to departure to the United States. 

Grants are awarded to applicants who plan to spend up to one academic year at an American university or research center and who have not visited the United States recently or extensively. The minimum period of stay in the United States is three months. Scholars selected under the Fulbright Program will be issued a J-1 visa which requires scholars return to their home country for a period of two years following their grant in the U.S. 

  • Doctoral degree or equivalent professional training or experience
  • Applications are accepted in all fields
  • Established affiliation with an American university or research center/institution
  • Swedish citizenship
Persons having dual citizenship (Swedish and U.S.) or holding permanent residence in the United States are not eligible to apply for Fulbright awards. Applicants already in the U.S. are also not eligible.

How to apply:
The application deadline is mid-January for grants beginning in the following academic year. The online application is available from August 1 each year. Details regarding the application process and online application can be found on the Commission website at www.fulbright.se

Grants for graduate study and Master’s level research in the United States are also available through the Fulbright Commission. Please check the website for details.

Fulbright Commission in Sweden
Phone: 08-534 818 85