- Full time
- Political science
- Social science
- Administrative work
Apply by: 2023-02-11
Intern / Trainee 100%
swisspeace is a practice and research institute dedicated to advancing effective peacebuilding. Partnerships with local and international actors are at the core of our work. Together, we combine competence and creativity to reduce violence and promote peace in contexts affected by conflicts. In collaboration with the University of Basel swisspeace offers a number of postgraduate programs and courses for peacebuilding professionals from around the world.
To support the Statehood and Conflict Program, we are looking for an:
Intern / Trainee 100%
Starting date: 1 March 2023 or by agreement
Duration: 6 months
Gross salary per month: CHF 1,500
The swisspeace Statehood & Conflict Program focuses on state formation and state-building processes as well as governance frameworks and structures, both state and non-state, in conflict-affected contexts.
Through our innovative research and practice-oriented work, we contribute towards a more critical understanding of state-building processes and political dynamics at the multiple levels of governance. In close cooperation with our partners, we advise local, regional, and international actors on how to effectively strengthen their strategic and programmatic approaches to promote peaceful political transformations.
- Supporting the team in acquiring and implementing projects and mandates, mainly in the MENA and Horn of Africa regions
- Assisting in designing, reporting, finance and administration, as well as monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Organizing meetings and events internally and with partner organizations and experts, taking of minutes, including logistic support
- Contributing to conflict analysis and context mappings and literature reviews
- Assisting in implementing capacity-building activities, trainings for partner organizations and swisspeace courses
- Supporting the development of the Statehood & Conflict project portfolio and partnerships including donor mappings, proposal writing, and background research
- BA (higher degrees will not be accepted) in international relations, political sciences, social sciences, peace studies or similar disciplines
- Excellent spoken and written English and Arabic. French or German are assets.
- Good research and writing skills, affinity for coordination and administrative tasks
- Excellent communicational and organizational skills; ability to work independently and in a team and to deliver high-quality results under tight deadlines
- First experience in working in in peacebuilding or related fields and a strong interest in conflict transformation
- Available for short-term travel in MENA and Horn of Africa regions
We offer you
- A challenging internship in an attractive field of work with political relevance
- Possibility to work independently and as a part of a team and to develop your own ideas
- A positive working atmosphere in a dynamic and international team
- Good working conditions and an attractive place of work in Basel, Switzerland
Application / Contact
Due to the Swiss regulations on the admission of foreign workers, only applicants with citizenship (or work permit) of Switzerland or of an EU/EFTA state can be considered for this internship position.
We look forward to receiving your complete application in English including a cover letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by 11 February 2023. Please submit your application via our online portal. Other means of application will not be accepted. For further information please consult our website swisspeace.ch or contact us by phone under +41 61 551 56 99.