- Full time
- Consulting assignment
- Computer science
Apply by: 2021-10-01
Postdoc in AI for sustainable power systems
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Moving towards climate security, electric power systems are going through a major paradigm shift with wide integration of distributed energy resources, such as solar PV, wind power, energy storage and electric vehicles. However, today’s grid cannot handle the voltage rise and fast voltage fluctuations from high penetration of renewables. It is widely recognized that the lack of adequate control mechanisms to regulate the voltages is a key hindrance.
The goal of this project is to use AI and deep reinforcement learning to advance the current control designs by making them more data-driven and communication efficient. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and scientific interests, the project can be directed towards smart grid optimization, AI algorithm development or hardware implementations.
This project is a collaboration of KTH, UC Berkeley and Stockholm University with the support of Microsoft and C3.ai. This project is funded by C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute (https://c3dti.ai/), which is a leading academic network supported by C3.ai and Microsoft of 7 elite universities in the USA (including MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley and Princeton) and KTH in Sweden.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (With some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume).
- A research background in at least one area related to the project:
- a) operation and control of distribution grids
- b) control and coordination of power converters
- c) deep reinforcement learning for energy systems
- d) distributed control, optimization, and AI
- International impact and the research outputs in the related field
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of team.
- Ability to fluently communicate research ideas and results.
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality,
- and ethical research conduct.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Your research experience (1 page) and your research plan (1 page) related to this project
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.