- Part time
- Consulting assignment
- Space Science
Apply by: 2022-10-06
Postdoc in astronomy
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
A two-year postdoc position in observational astronomy is available at the Department of Physics, KTH Royal Institute of Technology. The astrophysics research at KTH focuses on analysis and interpretation of observational data of cosmic explosions and compact objects, as well as the development of instrumentation for X-ray astronomy. These activities are a part of the Oskar Klein Centre (http://www.okc.albanova.se), which provides a stimulating research environment with a large community of postdocs and students.
The main focus of the position is studies of astronomical transients, in particular supernovae and/or gamma-ray bursts. The candidate is expected to primarily work on X-ray observations, but experience with other multiwavelength observations would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be encouraged to take part in the supervision of master students and/or PhD students.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate to Stockholm relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- A strong academic track-record, demonstrated by high-quality publications.
- Experience of analysis of X-ray observations.
- Research experience on supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, or a closely related field.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience with multiwavelength observations and machine learning.
- Experience of supervision and teaching.
- Strong collaborative skills as well as the ability to work independently.
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application should include:
1. CV, including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
2. List of publications.
3. Cover letter, including a description of research interests and experience (maximum 2 pages).
4. Names and contact information for two referees.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position is for two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: S-2022-1230 | Kontakt: Josefin Larsson firstname.lastname@example.org, Pär Olsson (Head of Department) email@example.com, | Publicerat: 2022-07-08 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-08-11
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time
- Part time
- Full time