- Full time
Apply by: 2023-11-17
Postdoc in Corrosion Science
At the Division of Surface and Corrosion Science, Department of Chemistry, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, fundamental research on hydrogen interactions with microstructures of metals and alloys are carried out by utilizing world-class synchrotron and neutron techniques, in collaboration with academic and industrial experts in the techniques and metal corrosion. The postdoc researcher will play a key role in the research projects financed by Swedish Science Council and Swedish Innovation Agency. One particular research project in collaboration with European Spallation Source (ESS) and Lund university is to develop and utilize neutron technique to reveal hydrogen embrittlement in alloys in real time. In addition to advanced microstructure characterization and electrochemical measurements, the postdoc will join and perform beamtime measurements in collaboration with the research team, analyze the data, summarize the results, present the results at international conferences and publish the key findings at peer-reviewed scientific journals. The postdoc researcher will be employed by KTH, with the same social benefits and insurances as all other employees at KTH. During the employment period, the postdoc will also stay at ESS in Lund, Sweden, for 2-3 months/year to carry out the research work.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- We prefer that you have a strong education background in material science and engineering, have solid knowledge of microstructure of metals and alloys, and skillful in microstructure characterization. It is desirable that you have a certain research experience in the field of corrosion science and engineering.
- Experience with advanced techniques for microstructure characterization such as SEM, TEM, EBSD, XRD, etc.
- Experience with surface chemical analysis techniques such as XPS, SIMS, etc.
- Skillful in mechanical testing and also electrochemical techniques.
- Good communication skills of the English language in both its written and spoken forms since it's required during daily work.
As a postdoc researcher, you should have a good ability to carry out research in team work and also independently, such as performing experiments, analyzing and presenting the results, and writing scientific publications. Being a key member in the research team, it is important that you have good communication and collaborative abilities. Certain teaching abilities are also beneficial.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Knowledge and research experience on hydrogen embrittlement and hydrogen-induced stress corrosion cracking of metals and alloys.
- It is a plus if you have some experience and are familiar with neutron and synchrotron techniques.
- Knowledge and previous experience of mechanical drawing software would be appreciated.
- Knowledge and ability to perform modelling with DFT and FEM.
- You should be aware of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence and suitability.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
To apply for the position
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply for this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Publication list, highlight the ones related to corrosion and you are the first author.
- Copy of doctoral diploma from your previous university. Translations into English or Swedish if the original document has not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Maximum two pages long.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Prof. Jinshan Pan firstname.lastname@example.org, Jinshan Pan, professor email@example.com,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-10-31