- Full time
- Energy technology
Apply by: 2023-04-16
Postdoc in modeling of large-scale energy systems
The research group Power System Planning and Electricity Markets at KTH is participating in several national and international research projects which aim to design the carbon dioxide-free power and energy system of the the future. To study these issues it is necessary to have energy system models that can mange large and complex systems. An example of such a model is Spine, which has been developed in an EU project, where KTH has participated. Spine is an open-source software, which can be used for simulating a wide range of energy systems.
A particular challenge when simulating large systems is the enormous amount of data that need to be collected and processed. For example, to study the Nordic electricity market or the European energy system, it would not be possible to model each power plant in detail. Therefore, it is necessary to aggregate similar power plants into so-called equivalents. In order to get reliable simulation results, it is important to set up equivalents in such a manner that they correctly represent the technical possibilities and limitations (in terms of energy storage, possibility to control the electricity generation etc.) of the underlying resource.
We are now looking for a postdoctoral researcher who can participate in the work to develop new methods to model large energy systems. The research will mainly focus on formulating optimisation models and to develop solution methods for these. The work can for example include new types of models to compare different designs of bidding and pricing structures in electricity markets, subsystems of larger models as well as methods to create equivalents and process input data. The work will also include taking responsibility for carrying out work packages and tasks within different research projects, to administrate reporting of research projects, supervision of project workers, documentation and to write scientific papers.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- The possibility to cooperate with and build relations to representative from industry as well as other universities and research institutes
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- The applicant should have shown great scientific skill on optimization models for planning or simulation of energy systems.
- As a person you are strongly motivated to conduct research and to obtain practically useful results.
- You are used to work independently as well as in cooperation with other researchers and industry partners.
- Good command of English orally and in writing, as this will be required in day-to-day work and to present and publish research results.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience of working with open-source software. Knowledge of SQL, Python and/or Julia are strong merits.
- Experience of working in larger projects together with researchers from other universities and from industry is a strong merit.
- Good educational skills, for example supervision of students or other teaching experience.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports. The documents should not be more than 10 pages each. For longer documents (for example dissertations), attach a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Two recommendation letters.
- Contact information for two reference persons. We reserve the right to contact references only for selected candidates
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Mikael Amelin, Associate professor email@example.com, Mikael Amelin, universitetslektor firstname.lastname@example.org, Eleni Nylén, HR-administratör email@example.com, Eleni Nylén, HR administrator firstname.lastname@example.org,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-03-13
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time
- Full time