- Full time
- Consulting assignment
Apply by: 2021-09-30
Postdoc in Synthetic Biology and eukaryotic cell factories
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
CellNova, a Vinnova funded center at the School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health, executes research for the development and production of next-generation biological drugs. The long-term objective of CellNova is to become one of the leading centres in the world for development and production of biological drugs. Read more here
The aim of the group is to enable and improve the ability of cells to produce advanced biological drugs, for example of protein or viral nature, with the help of synthetic and systems biology. The aim of the postdoc role is to develop next-generation eukaryotic cells (CHO, HEK293 and or S. cerevisiae) for production of biologics. This will be done with an emphasis on adaptation and development of new molecular tools for precise tuning of gene expression. Such genes might either be constituting product genes or bottlenecks genes of the cellular machinery in need for up/down regulation as defined by bioinformatics analysis of the cell's transcriptome / proteome / metabolome and product characteristics. The tasks will include both basic research work with further development & the development of new methods for balancing gene expression, transcription and translation in eukaryotes with emphasis on mammalian cells, while it will be closely linked to applications for the production of advanced biological drugs and applications stated together with industrial parties.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge & skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international & dynamic working environment
- Close collaboration with leading Swedish companies within biologics
- Close collaboration with leading Systems biologists at Chalmers University of Technology
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (With some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume)
- Experience from working with mammalian cells (CHO, HEK293)
- Very good experience of fundamental molecular biological methods such as cloning, PCR, vector design
- Methods for characterization of proteins, SDS-PAGE, western blot
- Strong Cell biological interest
- Documented scientific skills
- Collaborative mindset and experience from working in multiple teams
- Accustomed to working independently
- Strong academic communication skills, including writing, presenting and discussing
- Experience from bioprocess development
- Experience from transcriptomics, proteomics and/or metabolomics analysis
- Experience in quantitative PCR, ELISA
- CRISPR / Cas9
- Single cell cloning and expansion
- Cell line development
- Protein purification (ÄKTA, SEC, Affinity chromatography)
- Experience from work with S.cerevisiae
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas & grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long including short publication list of relevant publications.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity & equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH & a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing & recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original & the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time
- Full time