- Full time
- Consulting assignment
- Computer science
- Research Engineer
Apply by: 2023-07-25
Research Engineer for AI-driven Web and Cloud Software Development
The AICell Lab in the department of Applied Physics at KTH and Science for Life Laboratory is a new research group funded by the Data-driven Life Science Fellows program. The group, led by Wei Ouyang, focuses on building AI systems for data-driven cell and molecular biology. To expand the team, we are now opening a position for a research engineer who will work on software development for AI-powered data management and lab automation.
The research engineer will be responsible for building web-based user interfaces, computational backends, and managing container-based computing clusters. You will have the opportunity to work on exciting projects such as the AI-powered automated imaging farm, which involves robotic and imaging hardware control, experiment planning, and real-time AI-powered data analysis. You will collaborate with teams from Stanford University and develop AI platforms based on our existing open source projects such as ImJoy, ImageJ.JS and BioEngine. Additionally, they will work with international consortia such as the EU-supported research infrastructure project AI4Life for building the Bioimage Model Zoo and creating cloud-based AI computing infrastructure for deploying AI to research institutions and used by the masses.
- Developing software and web-based user interfaces for AI-powered data management and lab automation
- Building computational backends for AI systems and managing container-based computing clusters
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary teams on the Reef - Automated Imaging Farm.
- Implementing AI and machine learning methods for bioimage analysis
- Maintaining and improving the BioImage Model Zoo platform and related cloud-based infrastructure
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Collaboration opportunities with leading research institutions and universities in Europe and the US
- Learning and thriving in a young and ambitious research group
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A graduate degree or an advanced level (higher education) in the research subject or equivalent competence.
- Knowledge and experience of software development
- Excellent knowledge in English since this is needed in your daily work.
- Great emphasis will be placed on personal skills. We are looking for someone who is reliable, collaborative, and communicative. You need to be able to work independently, actively contribute to problem solving, and to help move projects forward. It is commendable if you are well organized and thorough. As an employee at KTH, awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality, is required.
- Experience with web development frameworks and libraries (e.g., React or Vue)
- Familiarity with cloud services, containerization technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes) and distributed computing systems
- Background in AI, machine learning, or data science, preferably with a focus on bioimage analysis
- Experience with robotics, image analysis, hardware control, and lab automation
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary research environment
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Great emphasis will be placed on personal skills.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
To apply for the position
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply for this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience, knowledge and representative publications. Please also provide your Github/Gitlab/Bitbucket etc. handle if possible.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Personal letter about your previous experience, personal competencies, career goals, why you want to conduct research, your interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received by KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The employment is valid for a limited time according to the agreement - for up to 12 months, with access according to agreement.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: särskild visstidsanställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Sysselsättningsgrad: 100 %
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Wei Ouyang firstname.lastname@example.org, Wei Ouyang email@example.com,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-06-19
More jobs from Royal Institute of Technology
- Full time