- Environmental science
- Research Engineer
Apply by: 2023-10-23
Research Engineer in Agglomeration Decarbonisation
ArcelorMittal is the world’s largest steel producer. We use the most innovative technology to create the steels tomorrow’s world will be made of. Every day over 190,000 of our talented people, located in over 60 countries, push the boundaries of digitalization and use advanced technology to create a world that is stronger, faster and smarter. To help make this possible, they know they can depend on the support and training that a company of our scope and scale can provide.
Within this context, you will be working for Maizières Process research centre located in Maizières-lès-Metz (France) which main mission is to contribute to ArcelorMittal’s production lines competitiveness and sustainability by the development or improvement of innovative processes or processing routes (from Ironmaking to metallic coating). The objectives of the laboratory are answering the needs of our operations (mineral processing, steel upstream operations, steel downstream operations, product quality, transversal issues). We are able to offer new technologies, standard solutions, technical assistances and knowledge building.
As the world’s leading steel producer, ArcelorMittal has a responsibility to be at the forefront of a transition in steel that achieves the goals of the Paris Agreement. Steel industry accounts for some 7-9% of global carbon emissions today. Iron ore reduction is where the vast majority of carbon emissions come from in the steel industry. The carbon challenge in the coming decades is therefore in the transformation of the way in which we turn iron ore into steel. ArcelorMittal has a strategy to reduce its carbon footprint based on the decarbonisation of the existing blast furnaces and by the erection of new direct reduction plants.
As a Research Engineer in the Ironmaking department of ArcelorMittal Maizières Process lab you will lead R&D projects related to the ironmaking decarbonisation and provide technical support to plants. You will be immediately involved in R&D projects dedicated to the decarbonisation of bast furnace plants within the ArcelorMittal group. The target is to decrese by 30% the CO2 emissions by 2030 and to be carbon neutral by 2050.
As a Research Engineer in the Ironmaking department of ArcelorMittal Maizières Process lab you will lead R&D projects related to the agglomeration decarbonization and provide technical support to plants. You will be immediately involved in R&D projects dedicated to the decarbonization within the ArcelorMittal group. The target is to decrease by 30% the CO2 emissions by 2030 and to be carbon neutral by 2050.
Your main objectives will include the following:
- Lead and supervise research projects at the laboratory and industry scale.
- Supervise and carry out campaigns on a pilot scale.
- Interpret and disseminate findings/results in the form of technical reports.
- Prepare technical presentations and trainings, as a tutor for trainees and technicians.
Your activities will consist in the following:
- Lead and contribute to R&D projects in the field of iron ore agglomeration (pelletizing, sintering, briquetting).
- Evaluation of agglomeration process and metallurgical properties of the iron ore agglomerates.
- Study the impact of iron ore on agglomeration process and product.
- Innovate to decarbonise the agglomeration process and product.
- Provide technical support to plants (scientific advise, measurement campaigns, etc.).
- You hold a Master's degree or a PhD in one of these relevant disciplines: Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
- You have a first experience in metallurgy/iron and steel, agglomeration processes (pelletizing, briquetting, extrusion, etc.), test protocols, safety, quality system.
- You have experience in development and utilization of laboratory scale pilots.
- Your English is fluent and an intermediate level in French is a plus.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You have adaptability and cross-cultural competence.
- You know how to work with a team.
- You have the ability to travel worldwide.
According to ArcelorMittal Global R&D values:
- You agree to comply with health and safety rules
- You are respectful, transparent, honest and empathetic in your relationships. You honor your word and your commitments to others
- You agree to behave consistently with the highest level of integrity
- You strive to question your practices. with high expectations of yourself and others, You strive for a high level of quality and reliability in everything You do.
- You recognize that diversity, varied skills and fresh ideas make a group exponentially better in the pursuit of a common goal
- You know that learning changes minds and lives, so You are committed to learning throughout your professional career and continually achieving the skills required and essential to your success
- You are open to ideas that challenge conventions and stimulate innovation
Join us and you will see that your work will help create renewable energy, impact major industries and boost economies. At ArcelorMittal, we'll help you create your world.
Attractive remuneration with stimulating career prospects in which eminent scientists and engineers evolve in a multicultural environment
More jobs from Talent
- Full time