- Full time
- Electrical engineering
- Computational Science
- Computer science
Apply by: 2024-02-26
PhD position within digital simulation of battery materials and systems
About the position
Are you interested in physics-based and data-driven modelling and simulation of battery materials and systems? Do you have a background in engineering thermodynamics and molecular or multiscale modelling – and do you hold an engineering or computing oriented Master degree? Then apply to join NMBU – we can offer you an opportunity for doctoral studies.
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) invites applications for a full-time doctoral candidate position within the Horizon Europe project Battery Cell Assembly Twin (BatCAT). The position is for 3 years.
The doctoral position will be associated with the Department of Data Science and the Material Theory and Informatics research group at REALTEK.
It will involve a close collaboration with BatCAT principal investigators from the Department of Data Science and the Department of Physics (within the REALTEK faculty) and also connect to the MINA faculty. Externally, NBMU will collaborate on BatCAT with 17 partners, and for this doctoral position, a particularly close collaboration is foreseen with AAU Klagenfurt, Simula (Oslo), RPTU Kaiserslautern, and VANEVO GmbH (Oldenburg).
The person appointed will be affiliated with the University’s organized research training. The academic work is to result in a doctoral thesis that will be defended at the University with a view to obtaining the degree of PhD.
The successful candidate is expected to join the existing research milieu or network and contribute to its development. Read more about the doctoral degree.
The description of action for the BatCAT project is available from Martin Thomas Horsch (firstname.lastname@example.org) upon request. The following tasks led or supported by NMBU within BatCAT are expected to be most relevant to the present doctoral position:
- Multiphysics modelling of redox-flow battery production
- Integrated multiphysics modelling of redox flow batteries
- Cellular neural network machine-learning predictor
The successful candidate is expected to enter a plan for the progress of the work towards a PhD degree during the first months of the appointment, with a view to completing a doctorate within the PhD scholarship period
- Master´s degree or equivalent in physics, chemical, civil, computational or mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, chemistry, data or computer science, or any similarly appropriate courses of study. Foreign degrees must correspond with the admission criteria for the PhD program. Candidates submitting MSs thesis within 31. December 2023 may be considered.
- Background in dynamic systems and engineering thermodynamics
- Programming competency
- Proficiency in both written and oral English in correspondence with the admission criteria for the PhD program.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The following experiences and skills will be emphasized (good to have, but can also be acquired on the job):
- Experience with Simulink.
- Experience or coursework in using machine-learning methods.
- Experience using methods/models in molecular and multiscale simulation, in particular for applications related to chemistry or process technology.
- Advanced programming competency, including a compiled language.
- Experience with parallel computing and HPC architectures.
- Experience with ontology-based semantic technology.
- Teaching experience and interest in contributing to teaching within data science
- Previous experience with relevant solvers such as FEnICS (or other types of software for numerical methods for PDEs) and MC/MD codes of any type applicable to classical-mechanical pair potentials.
Industry experience is a plus. If you do not know Norwegian or another Scandinavian language, you will be strongly encouraged and supported at learning Norwegian, since it is the working language at NMBU.
Remuneration and further information
- Salary NOK 532 200 per annum. For exceptionally well qualified candidates a higher salary may be considered.
- Government pay scale position code 1017 PhD Research Fellow.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) at the Norwegian University of Life Science (NMBU)
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NMBU.
For further information, please contact Associate Professor Martin Thomas Horsch
E-mail: email@example.com (do not use this e-mail for application, it is only for questions)
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 08.01.2024
Your CV must be entered in JobbNorge's CV form and not just included as an attachment. This is to be able to comply with the regulations of §15 of the Public Administration Act.
Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
By applying the candidate confirms that information and documentation submitted via the job application can also be used by NMBU in a possible admission process to the PhD program.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged. Applicants invited for an interview are expected to present original diplomas and certificates.
The application must include:
- Motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae (with a list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities, including a complete list of publications)
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates. (i.e. Di-ploma, transcript. Diploma supplement for both bachelor and master). Diplomas, transcripts and diploma supplements that are not in Norwegian or English must be uploaded in the original language. An English translation of these documents must also be attached.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement, or a similar document, which describes in detail the study program and grading system.
- Documentation of proficiency in written and oral English in accordance with NMBU PhD regulation section 5-2 (3).
- Names and contact details for two references
- Additional relevant documentation of professional knowledge (for example, list of scientific works). If it is difficult to judge the applicant’s contribution for publications with multiple authors, a short description of the applicant’s contribution must be included.
About The Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) develops research-based knowledge and educates civil engineers and lecturers needed to reach the UN's sustainability goals. We have approximately 150 employees, 70 PhD students and soon 1500 students. The education and research at REALTEK cover a broad spectrum of disciplines.
This includes data science, mechanics and process engineering, robotics, construction and architecture, industrial economics, environmental physics and renewable energy, geomatics, water and environmental engineering, applied mathematics as well as secondary school teacher education in natural sciences and use of natural resources such as in agriculture, forestry and aquaculture. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
What is it really like to work at the Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at NMBU?
The Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
NMBU will contribute to securing the future of life through outstanding research, education, communication and innovation. We have the country's most satisfied university students, who receive research-based education in a unique student environment. Our graduates gain a high level of competence in interdisciplinary collaboration and are popular in the labor market. NMBU has internationally leading research environments in several subjects. Together with our partners in society and business, we contribute to solving some of the biggest societal challenges of our time.
We focus on innovation, communication and entrepreneurship because we believe these challenges are best solved with joint efforts. We believe that a good working environment is characterized by diversity.If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities. More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no/en
8th January 2024
Place of service
Universitetstunet 3, 1430 Ås
More jobs from Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Full time
- Full time
- Full time